Saturday, September 8, 2007

The Tiger Lillies

A couple weeks ago, OvationTV aired "Shockheaded Peter and other songs of The Tiger Lillies". Unfortunately, I caught only the last 10 minutes or so, but what I did see completely floored me.

The Tiger Lillies performed their song, "Terrible" and I was dismayed yet rapt by the lyrics and their performance. I immediately wanted to hear and see more. I found the "Shockheaded Peter" DVD at a local Border's and I was able to grab some music. A kind soul has put a few of the "Shockheaded Peter" performances up on Youtube -- Tiger Lillies.

Their music has been described as "Brechtian" and "Gypsy Cabaret", but I can't help but think that in some parallel universe, this could be the vulgar offspring of a David Lynch/Tom Waits nightmare. Misogyny, blasphemy and dipsomania abound in their lurid tales.

"Shockheaded Peter" was inspired by a book of the same name. Der Struwwelpeter was written in 1845 by German author, Heinrich Hoffman. You can read the stories as translated by Mark Twain here. And for futher reading Shockheaded Peter.com

The book contains stories about children who misbehave and the consequences that befall them. The story of Shockheaded Peter, for instance is about a boy who doesn't groom himself and is very unpopular. "Snip Snip" is The Tiger Lillies' retelling of "The Story of Little Suck-a-thumb".


Snip Snip

Bully Boys



A diary of daily debauchery... Terrible

A haunting reflection to celebrate your last day on Earth... Alone With The Moon

No comments: